Western Justice Center offers an extensive training, ABCs of Conflict, that provides educators and youth-serving professionals with the knowledge and tools to train K-12 students in conflict resolution.
Studies demonstrate that Conflict Resolution Education "produces a positive moral climate in school and reduces reliance on authoritarian approaches to conflict resolution, enables students to negotiate and mediate solutions and regulate their actions, and improves attendance and academic achievement through fewer suspensions, better peer relationships and a greater interest in learning" (Sandy, Baily and Sloane-Akwara, 2000).
In this training, participants practice conflict resolution concepts and skills, learn how to create conflict resolution and peer mediation programs for their schools or organizations, and interact with other professionals.
Numerous schools have implemented peer mediation and other conflict resolution programs at their schools after attending the training. Recently, sections on bullying prevention and restorative practices have been added to The ABCs of Conflict.
K-12 Mini Professional Development Training
We are also providing three-hour professional development trainings utilizing live youth actors to improvise and act out classroom situations. Click here for more information or to inquire about a training.
Since 2009, educators from various schools and youth-serving organizations in the Los Angeles area have participated, including from:
- Ambassadors for Peace
- Asian Pacific American Dispute Resolution Center
- Asian Youth Center
- Belmont High School
- Belvedere Middle School
- Blair Middle and High School
- Carson High School
- Cleveland High School
- Clinton Middle School
- Corona Ave Elementary School
- Dolores Mission School
- Esteban Torres High School
- First Step Upward
- Hollywood High School
- I-Poly High School
- John Muir High School
- Kennedy High School
- Laurel Hall School
- Leadership in Entertainment and Media Arts High School
- Los Angeles Academy Middle School
- Los Angeles County Human Relations Commission
- Lycée International de Los Angeles
- Marc and Eva Stern Math and Science School
- Marina Del Rey Middle School
- Miller High School
- Narbonne High School
- Nueva Vista Elementary School
- Outward Bound Adventures, Inc.
- Pasadena High School
- Pasadena Unified School District Welcome Center
- Rose City High School
- San Marino High School
- Social Justice Schools Global Issues Academy at Dr. Maya Angelou Community High School
- Teen Futures
- The Peace and Justice Academy
- Thomas Starr King Middle School
- Toluca Lake Elementary School
- U.S. Grant High School
- Village School
- We Teach Parents